On Art and the Sublime



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Aboriginal Art by woman of Bulgul, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia (modern aboriginal art)


Club 21 gallery presented an exhibition on Aborignal art from Bulgul in Jan-Feb 2010. The style from this region tends to focus on colourful geometric patterns that are on the whole very pleasing on the eye. As I am not well verse in aborignal art, I am not aware whether the style is representative of modern aborignal art. In future, I would like to find out whether these works have a lineage with ancestral aborignal art and how they have evolved. In my opinion, I take issue with the word aborignal though as 'aborignal' in my mind has 'folk art' connotations and these works are certainly modern and appeared to be done by professional artists. Perhaps its marketing of art and the label 'aborignal' adds a sense of intrigue to theis art form.
All said, what i saw make nice decorative pieces and can see that they easily go well for most homes. Although beautiful pieces which i enjoy looking at, I do not rank them highly as they do not forcefully brings out emotions in the viewers, a quality I look out for in art.

No comments:

Post a Comment